Yesterday, I took a few (read: 84) maternity photos for my best friend Amy. She is a little over 28 weeks right now and her little bun is perfect and round. It still has a lot of growing to do before baby Gracen makes her grand debut in February, but we had to sneak in some pictures anyway. I imagine Gracen to be cute and sassy just like her momma, and fingers-crossed, to have a head full of red hair just like the folks on her daddy's side.
I am obviously not a professional- I have the cheapest camera nick and I could find after Haley took our old one for the ride of it's life, but I also know that having a good camera doesn't gaurantee a good picture... and that was the bit of hope I ran with for this shoot.
I learned a lot of valuable lessons this go around. To be sure to practice the rule of thirds, to never put your subject against a "black" background if she is wearing black, to get more belly than more skin in close up pictures (oooh, I was extra sloppy there), to research more poses so you don't end up with 40 of your subject looking down at her belly (hah), and the most important rule of all- to always pretend to look like you know what you're doing!
Just little things like that are all a part of the learning process and I am grateful for such an experience to figure things out and for some bonding time with my friend. I hope she treasures these with all her heart and I hope Gracen will too.
I am now even MORE determined to save up for my DSLR and make my dreams of becoming a photographer come true. I need a job that is fufilling to me and that allows me to connect with other people in our community. I hope to the tips of my toes that more opportunities arise.
Friends, if you don't see me all winter, just know that I am off rummaging under other people's couches for pennies, nickles and dimes... and hopefully an occasional quarter!






















13 comments:
GREAT pics kim!!!!
i agree, they are beautiful. you did a wonderful job.
I saw these on Facebook and was totally impressed. I loooove all the shots with the blue background -- it's also the perfect amount of space for putting text for announcements!
What a wonderful gift, Kim - Every pregnant girl should be so lucky! They are lovely.
I think the photos are fantastic!! You did a great job!
P.S. How cute is your subjects baby bump!!! :-)
what kind of camera do you have?
Thank you everyone for such sweet words, they mean so so much to me as I start this new endeavor <3
Justine- haha, i am embarassed to tell you. Just know these pictures can be taken with ANYTHING- from a cheap cheap cybershot to an expensive nikon, all the real magic happened in photoshop as far as the vignettes and contrast and color mutations go. :)
Beautiful baby belly...
Beautiful pictures...
Indeed a lucky friend she is!
These turned out gorgeous!! I especially love the first two - in front of the screened door and the blue wall. The colors are so intense! I also love the first one of your friend standing in what I'm guessing is a covered bridge. I hope you get lots more opportunities to earn that fancy camera!
these are beautiful. good job little lady <3
you never cease to amaze me! how the HECK do you keep up with life!? I struggle every single day and my kids are older than yours! gimme some of that young mama energy, eh? ;)
as always - your works is amazing, amazing, amazing. and your subject was awesome - she's so darn cute and omg that BELLY! I love how perfectly round it is and how you can see her little belly button peeking out under there!
lovelovelove.
These are so amazing! You definitely have the eye! Hope you get that camera soon, if you haven't already.
These are so amazing! You definitely have the eye! Hope you get that camera soon, if you haven't already.
Post a Comment