Tuesday, January 26, 2010

gratitude tuesday: week three

My Inherited Disease...

week three

My mother and my grandmother both tried to instill their great love for vintage and antique items in me from a young age. I will always remember them carting me around against my will to all different grades of antique shops in the historic districs of Virginia and telling me to have a look around as if the antique gods would send me some sort of awakening at age 12 and I would be able to find beauty and pleasure in all this dusty old junk. I couldn't understand their madness at the time as I had more important things on the brain: skater boys and instant messaging. Lord, really?

Nearly 20 years later, their antiquing disease has surfaced in me and I find myself wishing I could go on such adventures again. How much would I love to scower all their old favorite haunts for vintage baby dresses, toys, and shoes? To hunt down some fabulous one of a kind paintings and other unique decor for our home. To aid them in finding their personal favorites: antique gold jewelry boxes, perfume bottles, mirrors and frames.

Ah, it breaks my heart that such a trip is not possible, but I am grateful to have inherited some of their personal treasures. I cherish them with all my heart and soul as I know how much heart and soul was put into collecting them.

I have an antiquing/thrifting date in Floyd with my husband this weekend. I can't wait.

4 comments:

Li and El said...

We did that this past weekend. The sun was a shining and we went antiquing. My mom used to always get upset with me because I wanted to buy things at Goodwill (the only thrift store in our town) and she just couldn't understand it.

Kim Rakes said...

That sounds like a lovely way to spend the day, did you find anything good?

I didn't really start my thrifting craze until I was in college. I don't even think I knew what goodwill was in high school. I was naive and retarded and had to wear all new, brand name things. Thank God reality finally set in... hah.

Stacey @ Riedmiller's Room said...

i'm planning some trips this spring and summer with my mom in indiana. we're in cincinnati, so a lot of really cool places aren't too far off. there are a lot of excellent day trips to be had! i get to take lillie this year :)

ps i've been on etsy stalking down baby dresses for the past hour. bah!

Kim Rakes said...

Staaaaaaaaaacey, I am so jealous you get to go to Indiana. They have such great flea markets, antique stores, and thrift shops out there. I wish me you and our babies could road trip the mid-west together, haha... think about how many bathroom breaks we'd have to make!