Tuesday, February 23, 2010

gratitude tuesday: week six

babylove

Reclaiming our bed, a place to call their own

Nick and I have always co-slept with our girls, i love being able to kiss their cheeks and play with their toes in the middle of the night. Four bodies in a double is really toasty and a great birth control method, but it also causes a lot of backaches and grumpy mornings. We finally have moved Haley into her own bedroom and are in the process of finding the perfect beds to match the perfect quilts I found while off on one of our thrifting adventures. We went to the children's museum at winston salem today and I wanted to take these sweet bunks home with me. This just may have been the extra push I needed to get started on the girls room, I wish I could replicate this room in it's entirety. If it's good enough for goldilocks and the three bears, it is a storybook dream for us!

7 comments:

mrs.adrienneK said...

zoe and amelie sleep with us too!! poor kevin has the WORST back!! even when we put them in their beds they always end up snuggled back in with us?!?!?

Beth Lemon said...

I think those beds would be SO easy to make (or have made). You should look around. There are so many craftspeople where you are located. Maybe even check the MFA dept. of UNC-G...

Anonymous said...

So cute - I can't wait to see what you come up with. Have you heard of that website that has all kinds of patterns for DIY wood furniture? I can't remember. I'll have to find the link.

Kim Rakes said...

Adrienne~ I remember when you did Zoe's room for her. It is so cute, I cannot believe that she doesn't want to sleep in it. Haley's room right now, the one we are renovating upstairs, is so ugly that I am suprised she stays put ;)

Beth~ I didn't consider making them from scratch, but I probably ought to! It probably isn't that tough and would be a lot cheaper than buying them. Hmmmm!! I feel a project coming on (=

Nikole~ I have! I can't think of the name either though, I will have to go dig for it. It has all the pottery barn knock offs and such, i believe? That would probably be a great place for me to get started! Good thinking!!

Li and El said...

1. Nikole and Kim I think the website you are referring to is Knock Off Wood: http://knockoffwood.blogspot.com/

2. Kim - there is antique store up this way a little bit that always seems to have antique beds of all sorts around. We were there the other weekend and they had both metal and wood beds, so they might have something. They also post pictures of their new stuff each week. The prices are fairly reasonable too (at least for around here).
http://www.covesvillestore.com

Christina said...

i like your blog! im following now.
escalatinglights.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

there's this museum here in town that has a lot of old houses from the 1800s and the beds were pretty high because underneath the bed is another little bed where the children slept. i guess it was the first bunkbeds haha :)